Following the end of their £18million deal, rumours are currently rife that will not renew their $100million contract with Harry and Megan when it expires in 2025.
So far the Sussexes have produced one docu-series, Harry And Meghan, with the streaming platform reportedly wanting much more than just the six-episode series.
While the couple’s show was Netflix’s most-viewed documentary ever, the Sun reported that the company isn’t interested in paying the couple the additional $51 million they’re owed unless they come up with more content.
Meanwhile, a new report in the recent issue of Closer magazine stated that a source at Netflix said the couple had ‘ruffled feathers’ at the streaming platform, causing tension at the top.
Although last week a Netflix spokesperson told Entertainment Tonight: ‘The bond with Archewell Productions is one we deeply value… We’re currently collaborating on numerous projects, including the much-anticipated documentary series Heart of Invictus.’
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex attend the 2022 Robert F.Kennedy Human Rights Ripple of Hope Gala at New York Hilton on December 6, 2022
Meghan’s Spotify podcast Archetypes with Meghan has been scrapped after just one season
Given his family’s reputation in the showbiz world, it shouldn’t come as any surprise to Harry that his attempt at being a producer was doomed from the start – just look at how his uncle Edward fared.
Harry and Meghan are not the first members of The Firm to venture into the entertainment industry.
Let’s not forget the now Duke of Edinburgh’s infamous creations that caused his Ardent Productions company to be labelled ‘a sad joke’ by fellow industry bigwigs.
However, while programmes the Royal Family get behind seem to fall flat with viewers, shows made about them go on to become blockbusters, like Netflix series The Crown.
Here FEMAIL looks at some of the Royal family’s biggest TV flops in history…
The banned 1969 BBC documentary ‘Royal Family’
A 1969 documentary about the royal family which was famously banned by the Queen from ever being shown after its initial airing has reappeared on YouTube.Pictured, Prince Charles and Princess Anne at dinner with The Queen and Prince Philip in the documentary
Prince Charles, holding a cello, pictured together with his younger brother Prince Edward (right) during filming of the television documentary ‘Royal Family’ in London in 1969
In The Crown, Ms Colman, centre as the Queen, Marion Bailey as the Queen Mother, left, and Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret, right, sit down to watch the documentary Gogglebox style
In 1972, Her Majesty ordered the BBC’s documentary, Royal Family, which featured her calling the US ambassador ‘a gorilla’, scenes of the monarch having breakfast from Tupperware containers and shirtless Prince Charles on a jet ski, to be locked away and not aired again because, she said, it ‘cheapens the royal family’.
The original documentary has remained under lock and key since, and although there has been some debate over who owns the copyright, the Queen’s former press secretary insists it is retained by the BBC, with researchers having to pay to view it at BBC HQ, only after getting permission from Buckingham Palace first.
However, the full 110-minute programme leaked on YouTube, with thousands of people watching footage of the documentary, the making of which featured in series three of The Crown.
‘This is a matter for the BBC.We always exercise our copyright where we can. From time to time, things pop up on the internet that should not be there. We will assume it’s going to be taken down,’ a royal source told the Telegraph.
Buckingham Palace referred FEMAIL to the BBC where a spokesperson refused to comment, however, the video was quickly removed from YouTube.
The Queen’s former Press Secretary Dickie Arbiter told MailOnline: ‘The palace will have a version of it, they have one from every broadcaster as they’re sent down and they’re securely locked up, but how this one got out is for the BBC to sort out.
‘Somebody obviously nicked it from the BBC – it was a BBC documentary done with the corporation of the Royal Family, and it’s BBC copyright.They made it, their equipment, their people, and Antony Jay’s script, so it was their copyright. But how it got out, that’s something they’ll have to find out.’